Monday, November 06, 2006

Thoughts from Gaby

So we just returned from dinner in Amish Country. As I probably told you before, they have been so much on my mind and such an inspiration to me. When I walked back into the hotel lobby after discovering that our vehicles were gone, I sat on the couch, unable to really believe that this has happened. The first thing that came to my mind was how the Amish FORGAVE the man who hurt and killed their children. How could I do any less. We only had THINGS stooen, not children.

We are waiting for word about our van. Even though it was recovered, it blew the transmission within three blocks of where we took posession of it again. So now the question is if it is worth fixing with the other damage or if it will be totalled by the insurance company. If they do that, we won't have anything to tow our trailer home with. So God is giving us a time of rest now -albeit expensive with hotel bills and rental cars..... But that's only money. Dutch and I are fine, just very tired.

Although the van and trailer were recovered by the police, the thieves did get away with some things. We had brought three big suitcases full of additional merchandise and models and samples- some of which we just completed... computer equipment, and this list goes on. Because we were going to be on the road for close to 3 weeks, I had packed a lot of clothes and shoes. I didn't know what kind of weather we would encounter so we had everything from winter coats to bathing suits along. All of it is gone. From the trailer they took a rack full of Prism yarn and two hand trucks. Don't know why this is all they took from there- perhaps they were interrupted.... I had a carry-on suitcase full of Dutch's and my shoes, as well as a rain-type jacket and some oter warm clothes...that, too, is gone. So now the insurance company tells us that we must file another report in which we give them a list of everything that was NOT recovered. It looks like we will be wrapped in paperwork for some time.

We do not condone theft or crime of any sort. But after driving through neighborhoods the kind of which we have never seen before on our way to the police yard, in a way I do pray that someone will get warmth from my winter coat, good use out of my new walking shoes, perhaps one of the model garments that was stolen will make someone feel special in a way they never did before. I pray that God will turn for good that which the thieves meant and did for evil.

Before we left on this trip, my older brother in Nova Scotia wrote me a Bon Voyage letter in which he said that above all else he wished us KINDNESS along this trip. We have been showered with kindness from every corner. We are so grateful to all of you! We know that through all of this, good will come and hope that we are open enough to be used as vessels for God.

We are so thankful for all of our staff who helped us through this and held down the fort at home and we are especially proud of our "little" girl, who made things happen back home and set heaven and earth in motion to get her parents off that road. I can just imagine how she felt when she had me on the phone telling her that I was sitting alone in the dark and cold in front of an X rated establishment with cars honking at me. But it wasn't raining and I still hadn't wet my pants (I was there a LONG time) and I had a beach towel I could wrap around me for a bit of warmth. We didn't break down in the middle of the desert or some deserted place. We had people call us trying to help and we did have a rental van that could get us to a warm and safe place to sleep. Our profound thanks goes to the tow truck drivers, who came to our rescue.

So now please pray with us that we figure out a way to get our trailer (and us) home. Yesterday was Dutch's (and Caitlyn's) birthday and we had a wonderful time celebrating with our whole group. We always wonder how many people to bring to help us with the show because of the expenses involved. This time we had Cherie, Jan and Jenny as well as Elaine along. We needed each and every one and were so very thankful they were there. God does work in misterious ways His wonders to perform. I look forward to what's next. As I have access to computers, I'll keep you posted.
God bless you!
Gaby
(from near King of Prussia, PA)