Friday, November 03, 2006

Break Down

My parents are heading up to Baltimore to finally participate at the Stitches show when the van breaks down in the middle of an intersection in South Philadelphia. At this point, they are not going to get back to Baltimore in time for the help. I called Cherie (our Business Manager who is waiting for my parents at Stitches) and informed her that they are not going to make it and to make arrangements for them to come in later. Now Cherie has to do plan B for the bank, bags for when they do sell product, set up the booth the best that they can for what they have, etc. The girls are troopers and are working tiredlessly on their end to help.

At first glance, my parents though that the van needed fluids, so my father took the rental van and went to go look for some fluids while my mother stayed behind hoping that she doesnt get rear ended. (Remember, they are in the middle of an intersection). My father comes back and nothing is making the van work again. The van is now dead and needs to get to a mechanic asap. Fortunately for them, a Ford dealer is right around the corner. They called AAA and they came and got them off the intersection and they took only the van to the dealer. It is now 3 pm (12 noon PST) and my parents are calling me in California for help. They need assistance with finding a van with a hitch to help pull the trailor up to Baltimore. Their cell phones are dying and they cant find anything. At this point, my parents have had no sleep or any food. I spent most of the day on the phone calling rental companies and Uhaul companies looking for a truck with a hitch. Wouldnt you know that there were absolutely no one who had a hitch. One lady gave me a confirmation number at a Uhaul about 20 minutes away from my parents stating that there was a 14 foot truck with a hitch waiting for them that they could take to Baltimore. Once my father got there, it was not available. Now they still have nothing and it is beginning to get dark outside. The staff at the store, our insurance reps, Barry from Trendsetter Yarns (while at Stitches) are now assisting me with finding other means to help get my parents up to Baltimore. Finally, a towing company says that they will tow my parents up to Baltimore, but that the driver couldnt be there for at least an hour. With my parents cell phone almost completely dead, I had to find out how they were holding up. My father was still driving around town, getting lost looking for a hitch to tow the trailor while my mother stook guard over the trailor and the products that they had to take out of the van before it went to get repaired. My mother was not a happy camper at this point in time because it was dark now, she is standing in front of an adult sex store and people who were driving by were now honking at her. If you know my mother, that does not stand well with her. I called my father and said to get back to my mother asap and just wait as I have help on the way. I was afraid every time the phone rang as I didnt want anything else to go wrong.

Stay tuned for more!
Niqua