Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Summer Top, Skirt or Purse?

A few months (!!) ago I began working on a purse from a Prism pattern with hand dyed Prism yarn called Loopy. No, I'm not that slow- I have knitted several other things since-
What held me back was that we already had a model of this pattern in the store and I didn't see the need to make a second one. But I was soo close to being done that it was a shame not to finish it.
There was also some question regarding the colors that were chosen. (I didn't choose them). Have you ever been stuck on a project just because... you couldn't put your finger on it? So I showed it to the "girls" and Cherie said: "This would make a great strapless top!" Huh? Well, now that you say it.......Actually it looks great as a top! It could have some straps if need be.... But then it also looks great as a skirt! Hmmmmm. Actually, it would look great as a felted purse, too.
So I got more of the same yarn in the color that people wondered about (the bright pink/orange one) and when I knitted with it this time, lo and behold it FLASHED! (Flashing is when the colors just "happen" to line up so the same color appears in the same place). When you look at the picture and see the two stripes of the bright color, you wouldn't believe it's the same yarn!! The top one blended, the bottom one flashed! What a difference!! By the way, the original purse pattern has you start at the top with a number of rows of garter stitch. Besides making a great top for a purse, it also makes a great band for the top or the skirt. Now I repeated the same color I used for the band on the very bottom. It started out flashing but then there were a couple of knots in the yarn so it threw off the "rhythm" of the repeat. I decided to change things a little and end with a lace pattern.

Isn't this fun" I'll tell you, I had such a great time with this! It would take some experimenting with number of stitches and needle sizes until you get the yarn to flash. I was lucky to have it happen accidentally. But judging from these results, I think it would be worth the effort. Why not give it a try?